To Be The Best That We Can Be
Subject Coordinator: Mrs Singh
Forest School is a child centred approach to learning through hands on engaging learning experiences within the natural environment.
At Athelstan Community Primary School our Forest School and outdoor learning sessions take place in our school Orchard and outdoor learning area providing a natural, calm setting allowing children time to work collaboratively, solve problems and and take part in a range of activities which supports the development of new skills. Through hands on practical activities we aim to promote the holistic development of children as well as offering all learners regular opportunities to achieve, develop confidence and self-esteem.
The experience of regular Forest School sessions and outdoor learning at Athelstan Community Primary School helps to build independent, resilient, imaginative and inquisitive learners whilst allowing risk taking within the safe, natural outdoor environment in our school grounds. Forest School sessions take place all year round. It can cover many areas of learning, including the emotional and spiritual aspects of learning where self-esteem and self confidence can grow and positive relationships with peers can be formed.
1. Forest school is a long-term process of regular sessions. The cycle of planning, observation, adaption and review links each session.
2. Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural environment to support the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world.
3. Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
4. Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to their environment and to themselves.
5. Forest School uses a range of learner centred processes to create a community for development and learning.
6. Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
Winter Kit List
Summer Kit List
A spare change of clothing should also be brought in a named bag to each session.